AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

-31*C, 8" snow, wind howling!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Rosco
Posted 3/9/2009 11:47 (#637248)
Subject: -31*C, 8" snow, wind howling!

Galahad, Alberta
Last tuesday, March 3rd, we got 8" of snow in 5 hours, just about straight down, no wind. It was great, considering we were pretty much brown here. The bus brought the kids home early that day because of heavy snow on the roads. The next day it was near freezing, the bus didn't run again because of snow, and the kids and I built a snowman so big that I needed the stepladder to put the head on. Lots of farmers were out with tractors and blades cleaning out their yards and plowing a bit on the roads just to make them passable. Thursday and Friday the kids didn't have school, which was good because the wind blew about 50 mph and that really blocked up the roads. Still no graders out and about. Saturday was nice, a bit more snow, some wind, still no graders. And then Sunday (yesterday) there was a bit more snow, the wind howled all day, temp about -20*C. The bus driver phoned me last night, and asked me to go out and drive a few miles of her route to see if the roads were plowed. My road is only open because of farmers with blades doing it, the others had been plowed by a grader. I phoned her back, told her they were good, but she still didn't run today because other roads that she had to travel still hadn't seen any plows. My wife drove our kids to school today. I phoned the county public works office to ask about some grader service, and got the answering service. %$#&*@!! Anyone else noticing a decrease in the level of service from their county, or is it just me?? I gotta go plug in the tractor so I can plow out the yard again.
When I was a kid, bus routes got priority. My councilor told me that now, the grader operators just go plow out the roads that are bad, they have no clue where the buses run!! I'm getting steamed just writing this! Bunch of idiots!! Some guy that has to check an oil well has gets service over a busload of little kids! Sorry, had to rant, I feel a bit better.
Snowed in and cold in Alberta, Rosco
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)