AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Small Scale Wind Power
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

flyingfarmer
Posted 3/8/2009 14:19 (#635966 - in reply to #634782)
Subject: RE: Small Scale Wind Power

Everyone,

Be real careful when reading any companies sales information. Here is the Ventera output chart.

Notice that it takes at least 12.5 mph to produce 1 kw of power. Now I am not saying this is not a good system but notice that to get to the rated 10 kw you have to see a sustained 27.5 mph. It is very important, with any system, to look and find these graphs.

You have to be real honest with yourself about what kind of wind you actually have at your site. Go to the site I list below and then compare the output graphs to help determine a payback period.

Also take into account what program your utility offers for net metering. Here in Michigan, Consumers Energy will only issue you credits for energy produced. So at this point, the best you can do is to have a net of $0.00 spent on electricity at the end of the year. I realize this is still good, but for those with better wind/output it would slow the payback.

Wind maps:  http://www.windpoweringamerica.gov/wind_maps.asp

I am in the process of adding wind and solar to my existing electrical contracting business, and in our area we are liking the Skystream system, but there are many more we are looking at.

Steve

Edited by flyingfarmer 3/8/2009 14:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)