AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DJI Phantom vs Mavic - For Haying Videos
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 7/27/2019 09:33 (#7637712 - in reply to #7637426)
Subject: RE: DJI Phantom vs Mavic - For Haying Videos

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

Can't help with the Phantom but I've had both a Mavic and a Mavic 2 Pro. The 2 has a better camera, slightly longer flight time, improved stability in moderate winds, better range for the link from drone to controller, obstacle avoidance sensors on front, back, sides, top and bottom, improved follow me and other autonomous flight modes. Obstacle avoidance isn't good enough to reliably detect utility wires and small, bare tree branches.Drone makes quite a bit of noise, so no microphone or audio for recordings as sounds of what you're recording would need to be very loud to be heard over the drone props. Tablet or phone attaches by wire to the drone controller and uses the data transmission stream from drone to controller that is then sent via wire to your tablet.
The 2 has several follow me modes: Orbit a moving object at a constant distance, follow an object at a fixed distance, or drone remains stationary while following the moving object with its camera, much like a spotlight does to action on a stage.
Drone constantly monitors battery usage and conditions so it will have enough left to return home and safely land while it has a 20% reserve (or whatever you set).
For my uses, I've found an hour of flight time to be ample so I have two drone batteries. Bear in mind that having more extra batteries can be a pain if you're not flying to their capacity every day. LiPo batteries like the drone uses don't like being held at a full charge for a week or more, so they will initiate a self discharge to a safe level after a period of inactivity. Can be a pain if you haven't flown for a couple weeks and grab your stuff to do an impromptu flight to find all your batteries need to be topped off before you are able to fly. Of course, battery use and charge should be rotated among the set of batteries you own and its a pain to keep track of which was used when. Also remember that the controller and tablet have batteries that are depleted as you fly so unless you have provisions to recharge them its conceivable that you may have drone batteries galore but can't fly because tablet or controller has low batteries.
One removable piece on the 2 that needs to come off before flying and that's the camera cover/gimbal clamp. Much improved setup over the 2 piece clamp/cover on the original Mavic.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)