AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Follow up: Poly pipe spiral wrap cutting tool (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 1/31/2018 17:21 (#6544984)
Subject: Follow up: Poly pipe spiral wrap cutting tool (pics)

Another little follow up project today.

Posted on a couple earlier threads about the poly spiral cut hose protection. I did come up with some online sources for getting what I wanted. It's nice stuff and has a beveled edge on the cuts to there is no abrasion against the hose.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=756936&posts=2#M6507390

Shortone made a neat little tool for cutting regular black poly pipe that was shown in this thread.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=749602&mid=6427264#M6427264

That got me to thinking about other ways this could be done.

Did some looking on the web and Youtube and saw several setups that looked simple to make and might be promising so I decided to try and put something together.

Again this is NOT my original idea but is based on some other things I saw. Thought I would put something together sort of as a prototype and for a test run.  Actually worked pretty well so I wanted to share it with everyone here.

Consists of a 2x4 screwed down to a larger flat board.

Others I saw that looked similar had the end of the 2x4 cut back at an angle. I guessed at about 15º

Not really sure if this angle is all that critical or what changing it would do ?

Next a normal utility knife blade is screwed in place with a screw and washer through on of the knockouts on the blade that normally lock onto the blade holder.

You advance a piece of pipe up to the blade and get it started then turn it counterclockwise up against the blade. Push forward as you turn and it seems to advance at it's own pace and actually seems to make strips that are roughly equal to the diameter of the poly pipe you are using. 3/4" pipe makes about 3/4" strips between cuts and the 1" pipe made about 1" strips between the cuts.

I also used a long finish nail just past the blade in hopes that it would help regulate the width of cut and sort of help pull the pipe spiral. I did some with and some without the nail and could not honestly tell too much difference.  It just seems the poly pipe sort of self regulates to cut at about the diameter of the poly pipe being used.

These were some relatively short scrap pieces I had around. They still had a pretty good curve to them from being in a coil. I passed them in front of the Knipco heater several times to warm them up as well as to straighten them out a bit. They cut very easily when they are warmed up too.

Only drawback or change I might make would be to add some thin wall conduit or pipe that the poly would just pass through right before the knife to help keep it flattened out and aligned and held tight to the knife. This could be easily changed for different size poly.

I thought they turned out pretty consistent. Even stopping and starting multiple times did not seem to alter the width of the strip being cut much if any. Had a few variations at the beginning of the 3/4" poly as I was getting a feel for it but for the most part steady pressure and turning seems to regulate itself quite well.

Figured lots of folks on Ag Talk would find this useful and helpful for protecting wires, lines, and hoses from abrasion and to give added protection.

It's a simple low dollar build that can save you lots of money over buying this stuff pre-made.

Hope everyone finds this useful and helpful.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)