AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Screw type gauge wheels can they be pushed or pulled ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 10/15/2017 19:42 (#6309944)
Subject: Screw type gauge wheels can they be pushed or pulled ?

I made several posts about the 1610 chisel plow and my search for additional shanks and such. Well my search in that regard has ended. I found a smaller 3 point 1600 that had the later style thicker shanks that I was looking to add to my 1610. With the thicker shanks all the parts numbers cross over and are the same It was much cheaper going this direction than buying new individual component parts and nearly as cheap as getting the used shanks and stub bars shipped here from a place I found that has skids of them in Idaho. The 1600 had 1 stub bar for a pattern and I found a local place that can punch ½" plate and can source the square tube as well. So in reality I can add 4 more shanks and still have 6 for spare parts. 

As a bonus the 3 point mounted one had these screw type gauge wheels that mounted trailing behind the 4x4 mount bars. On the 3 point mounted one they trailed behind the front 4x4 tube.

On the 1610 I could mount them off the back of a stub bar off the end in the front location but they would tend to be rather close to a shovel throwing dirt at the wheel and I want them aligned so that a shovel takes out the track they run in. The shank in the bottom right of this picture would basically be right beside the gauge wheel if mounted behind the first stub bar location and the transport wheel and gauge wheel would be pretty much side by side not really doing any good that way. 

Figured if I could mount them facing forward in a pushing type configuration it would make a wider spread between transport and gauge wheels and also support front outer corners making for more consistent depth. Probably would adjust them to carry a little weight but not an excessive amount and more to even out hopping or side to side oscillation if I go with 15 shanks or perhaps even 17 if it does not pull too hard. 

These appear to be similar to those found on 3 point planters that are in a pushing configuration.

I think as long as they cleared the duals turning which I think they will and not turning with them on the ground which I never do I don't see where the stress would be that much different ? Am I missing something here ?

Thoughts or opinions on running them this way.

I've seen them mounted in a push configuration on 3 point versions but forward facing off the rear bar.

(22268120 (Large).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 22268120 (Large).jpg (205KB - 514 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)