AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 1610 chisel plow follow up (Data warning lots of pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 9/7/2017 19:51 (#6234910)
Subject: JD 1610 chisel plow follow up (Data warning lots of pics)

Thought I would post some followup on the previous threads and questions I had.

Posted an earlier thread inquiring on the older JD 1600 and 1610 chisel plows.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=701211

Also posted a followup on the excellent service from Wood County Implement in getting it here.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=706113

I also posted about finding a pintle style clevis.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=705045

Did not find anything locally that fit the bill for the hitch that matched up dimension wise with what I needed. The clevis that came with it only attached with a single 1" bolt and was already sprung somewhat. Just did not think it was durable enough after my past experience of shearing off four 3/4" grade 8 bolts on a three point mounting bracket on my old White one.

So I just went ahead and bought the correct one from JD. It was not as cheap as I would have liked but seems to be a heavy built well constructed piece that fits as it is supposed to and attaches with two 1" grade bolts.

Worked up my wheat stubble after burning it down. Even after baling straw the remaining straw residue never seems to dry out in the spring and just seems to stay smeary & muddy underneath. Plan on working it down later this fall and then stale seed bed planting into that in the spring. The one field had some tile installed and wanted to re-level and fill in the trenches where it had settled some more.

Overall real happy with the performance of the 1610.Very simple to hook up. Drop in the pin and plug in 2 hoses and go. The 3 point mounted White was a bear to hook and unhook. Had to take the quick hitch off and then trying to get everything lined up with non telescoping lower 3 point arms and having to use bushings over the CAT II pins to fit the Cat 3 lower arm ball sockets. Usually would take a half hour or more to get it hooked up and no ease of unhooking either. The White 3 point brackets were not standardized for even a CAT 2 quick hitch.

Took a little time to get the hitch set in the right place and the spacer shims between the tongue and main frame so that it sat level when lowered to working position.

Only drawback is it seems too hop a little more when lowered all the way down but the 3 point mounted one did as well especially in hard dry ground which is where the lower 3 point bolts sheared off before. I found if I carried a little more weight on the transport wheels it smoothed out and still did a great job. Don't intend to cover a lot of acres so the ease of hook up was a big factor.

I did miss the 3 extra shanks of my 16 shank mounted unit since this one is only 13 so I am still on the lookout for a few extras and think I can easily expand to 15 shanks or maybe even 17.

I found a place locally that can punch up to 13/16" holes in 1/2" plate and carries 4"x4" x1/4" wall tubing as well. Very reasonable so ought to be able to make my own stub bars far cheaper than buying or having them shipped from elsewhere. Also have a possible lead on some other shanks.

Few more pics.

Edge of field with mowed fencerow between my field and the neighbor.

Hope everyone enjoys the pictures and follow up information.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)