AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what can a drone do in regards to ag??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 12/16/2015 11:58 (#4964105 - in reply to #4963311)
Subject: RE: what can a drone do in regards to ag??

As always its a cost vs benefit thing. If I can get a quad with a decent camera cheap enough I think it will earn it's keep by improving my scouting (I don't quite walk every row). Scouting is a funny thing because the information is not always something you can take action on due to economics/costs or can't change the weather. Often it's a great value to suppliers because it means they can sell more stuff throughout the year. For us a lot of the info will be 'nice to have' - ie. drainage issues, weedy spots and other things that will help in longer term planning.

As with a lot of this technology, it's somewhat of a solution looking for a problem. The variables in farming are immense and it's unlikely a package of technology will do more than scratch the surface of controlling those variables. It's not like we are going to change things like hybrids half way through the growing season to fit conditions better. I get the nitrogen management part and with side dressing becoming cool again, it can have some benefits. However, as PTO (paul the original) eluded to, lots of things change and a snap shot is just what it is.

Lastly, there are always early adopters like the guys who bought $30K light bars and most of us need to let them run out and buy the $15K packages. Fortunately the quads and even some fixed wing drones have been coming down in price for a long time. The market for high end remote aircraft is pretty small and price is about the only way to attract new buyers. I think a horizon hobby setup is around $1600 and it may be possible to put together about the same thing by buying the parts separately (if don't buy the ag package). I've considered going pretty cheap on the copter so I don't feel as bad when it crashes (a major concern with these). I like the video displays they have and some of the return home features.

It's pretty squarely in the 'want'/toy category vs need.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)