AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Microsoft's malware recovery strategy: wipe & re-install
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Omar
Posted 4/6/2006 23:31 (#3268 - in reply to #3080)
Subject: Re: Microsoft's malware recovery strategy: wipe & re-install

Elmira, Ontario

I think you have to keep in mind the difference between an office worker computer and a home computer. Many large companies will have image disks that have all the operating system and program files on it. A couple hours and the install is done. Some of the more strict companies won't let their users customize settings. Some will point the My Documents folder to the network. In a case like these, I'd think it's much quicker to just reload.

Keep in mind, many IS people at larger companies don't have the "stay up all night till you fix what you broke" experience that many of the people on this board do. Also keep in mind that the viruses and root kits are getting smarter and harder to sniff out.

Now, my work and my home systems have more utility programs than normal and a lot of customizations. To re-install everything takes a lot more time than it does on a basic system with only the o/s and Office. I'm also more able to recognize and troubleshoot a computer problem than many people. I might also prefer the challenge of not letting a computer problem beat me. I'd also be doing it on my own time. What's right for my situation definitely isn't right for many corporations.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)