AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Busy . . .
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 8/5/2006 10:18 (#32889)
Subject: Busy . . .

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

Started wheat Thursday. This is one of the better fields so far & it's nothing to get excited about (±40 BPA).

(harvest (1).jpg)

(harvest (2).jpg)

(harvest (3).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments harvest (1).jpg (94KB - 264 downloads)
Attachments harvest (2).jpg (73KB - 273 downloads)
Attachments harvest (3).jpg (79KB - 277 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MikeInFrance
Posted 8/5/2006 11:14 (#32911 - in reply to #32889)
Subject: Re: Busy . . .

Alsace 47°52'46"N 7°24'30"E
Awesome pics!
Did you install EZ Steer?
Can you give a report on your experience with it?
IH1468ecks
Posted 8/5/2006 12:44 (#32929 - in reply to #32911)

Ed, its great to see someone else that still likes Gleaners. That is a beautiful machine and great pictures. Good luck on harvest--Lloyd
John Burns
Posted 8/5/2006 13:07 (#32936 - in reply to #32889)
Subject: RE: Busy . . .

Pittsburg, Kansas

At first I didn't think the wheat looked too bad then realized those heads are not goose-necked over and they are the wrong color of yellow. Looks like you did all you could - good stand, good weed control, etc. Kind of up to mother nature after that and she has been kind of fickle this year.

Good luck with harvest. We should start picking corn next week. Some have been going for a week around here with some of the shorter season corn and some of the areas that didn't get as much rain. 

John 

Ed Boysun
Posted 8/5/2006 22:26 (#33049 - in reply to #32936)

Yes, It always helps if a man can get some rain during the later part of the growing season. Of course we're used to dry so we just settle for temps under 90 and no wind. Got very hot and dry during fill, so there went the yield. Actually got into some stuff that looked like 60 pound T.W. today and that field may have run 50 bpa. Sometimes good heavy ground can surprise a guy with just what it can do.

Don't let the color of the ripe wheat mislead you. This variety is called McNiel, it's characteristic color is a dark copper when it is ripe. One of it's other characteristics is a few heads mixed in, that are the usual yellow color of ripe wheat. You can probably pick out the odd-balls in the pictures.

John Burns
Posted 8/5/2006 22:55 (#33056 - in reply to #33049)

Pittsburg, Kansas

We used to plant a hard winter variety called Newton that had about that color.

John 

york
Posted 8/5/2006 13:17 (#32938 - in reply to #32889)

40 bu/acre is around 2.5 t/ha. How you can make money with this yield?

York
Germany
Ed Boysun
Posted 8/5/2006 22:34 (#33050 - in reply to #32938)

York, My variable costs for growing a crop of wheat are very modest. Especially compared to what yours must be.

One of my guidelines is to be able to show a profit growing 25 BPA wheat and selling it for $2.50 / bu. This year's yield may be a bit better than 25 and I was able to lock in a much better price than $2.50 for this year's crop. That will be enough return to encourage me to try for much better "Next Year" Laughing

Jim Dayton
Posted 8/5/2006 13:23 (#32940 - in reply to #32889)

Shoal Lake, Manitoba, Canada
Ed, it looks like the GPS steering is doing the job cutting practically a full header.

Nice pictures, good harvesting.

Jim
pknoeber
Posted 8/5/2006 15:25 (#32958 - in reply to #32940)
Subject: RE: I think I've

SW KS, near Dodge City
Got that same model of ez-steer. It's pretty low-maintenance, but can get somewhat cranky if the power supply dries up. That's why I always pack a lot of Mountain Dew!

Seriously, if you do have the ez-steer on it would you mind posting what you've done with it, antenna location and other quirks etc...? I've got a 62 and am contemplating the ez-steer for this winter's upgrades.

Good luck with the rest of harvest.

Phil
plowboy
Posted 8/5/2006 17:50 (#32978 - in reply to #32958)
Subject: It's in there

Brazilton KS

The GPS antenna is clearly visible in all of the pictures and you can see the steering motor in one of them, so there no doubt he has it installed.

Working may be another question....tracks in the background don't look all that straight.

Edited by plowboy 8/5/2006 17:50
Old Pokey
Posted 8/5/2006 20:35 (#33017 - in reply to #32978)
Subject: Which brings a question to mind.......

I see the tracks you mentioned, good eyes. I wonder,........would the machine then track exponentially(sp) worse each pass, or is that an adjustment of some sort??
Ed Boysun
Posted 8/5/2006 21:19 (#33029 - in reply to #32978)
Subject: EZ-Steer

Here's a pic of some tracks on a longer field. It works, but I haven't fooled with it and Wane had just started messing with it on this field. We got tangled up chasing a leak in the AC and by the time we beat that beast into submission it became a question of whether to cut wheat or mess with the EZ, so we went cutting without having things tweaked as good as they could be. One thing to say about the system though; when he uses it, it's like having auto-steer in the Cat while unloading. The natural tendency of a track machine to go in a straight line, leaves me with not much to do as far as steering as he unloads onto my trailer.

The pic with the crooked tracks is taken on a headland pass and the field was small enough that I don't think he even used the EZ on that one.

(tracks.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tracks.jpg (76KB - 145 downloads)
Ed Boysun
Posted 8/5/2006 22:49 (#33054 - in reply to #32958)
Subject: RE: I think I've

Antenna mount was a length of 2" square tubing mounted to the two bolts on the front of the cab top. I welded an 18" length of 3/16" X 4" strap to the underside of the tubing before I bolted it to the cab roof.

For the EZ-motor mount, I removed the plastic shrouding from the top of the steering column until I found a short length of steel tube that I could clamp to. I split a short length of 2" pipe, lengthwise and spread it ever so slightly so it just saddled the Gleaner column. I then welded ears to it, for some 1/4" bolts to create a clamp. Once I had the column clamp made, I used 3/16" X 4" strap to fashion the motor mount bracket. I came perpendicular to the clamp, far enough to clear the instrument box, bent it to follow the box for about 4" and then bent it at a ninety to form the shelf to mount the motor to. This piece was welded to one of the clamp halves. I was able to get the bracket to closely match the top of the instrument box and re-attach the plastic shroud by merely cutting a slot for the bracket to emerge. The motor is mounted at the 12 O'Clock position and the steering wheel is nearly fully collapsed when the motor is being used. Telescoping the column outward makes for a more comfortable manual steering and also moves the wheel away from the EZ, so you are in no danger of rapping your knuckles on it when driving manually.

Steiger Man
Posted 8/5/2006 18:53 (#32998 - in reply to #32889)

Sunburst Montana
Nice pics. You need to farm in western montana for awhile. We hope for 40 bu spring wheat on a good year. This year will not be one of those years.
Ham
Posted 8/5/2006 20:24 (#33015 - in reply to #32998)

Blvd d'Espair Bowhill, Sth Aust
You and me together, Steiger Man.
40 BPA is on the higher end for us ( we'd call it 2.66 tonne per hectare )

Don't you guys get sick of unloading...? : )
mike treweeke
Posted 8/6/2006 01:52 (#33094 - in reply to #33015)
Subject: That makes three of us....

Nth New South Wales Australia

Me to Ham.I would take 2.6 t/ha any year as an average.Good year for us would see yields around 3.5-4 t/ha but there are the years that go in between that are the problem.Our breakeven on wheat is around 0.8t/ha.

Mike.

Ed Boysun
Posted 8/6/2006 10:01 (#33150 - in reply to #33094)
Subject: Hey Mike

I thought you folks were due for a decent crop. Weather still not cooperating?

I don't like the sound of that .8t/ha breakeven though. Looks like I'm needing to sharpen my pencil and trim somewhere. I've always thought that raising a commodity is a lot like elk hunting in Grizzly Bear country. When a bear gets after you, it's impossible but also un-important that you be able to out run him. The important thing is to be able to run faster than your hunting buddy Innocent

mike treweeke
Posted 8/6/2006 18:07 (#33268 - in reply to #33150)

Nth New South Wales Australia
G'day Ed,
We are in the middle of our cereal growing season at present and all things being equal we are looking at a reasonable crop,September is the big month for us so far as any rain then can have a very positive affect.Incrop spraying is happening now and then its harvest in late Oct/Nov.
Hope yours ends well,looks like the EZ steer will work ok.
Matts
Posted 8/6/2006 01:06 (#33086 - in reply to #32889)

50 miles west Stockholm , Sweden
Ed,
nice pictures! Crops do not look so bad, after a long hot summer as you have had! How much cost the EZ-Steer on your Gleaner? I realy like the Silver Combine you have, have only seen Gleaners on pictures!
Have a safe Harvest!
Matts
Ed Boysun
Posted 8/6/2006 10:15 (#33154 - in reply to #33086)

Hi Matts, How is your father doing? I'm sure that many others who come here share my concern and well wishes for him.

I bought the EZ-Guide and EZ-Steer from two different local dealers. Paid $2650 for the Guide and $3100 for the Steer with one mounting bracket. Knowing what I now know, I could have saved a few hundred by shopping the Internet.

I took some movies of the combine yesterday but the camera I was using makes them in Apple Quicktime format. I spent over an hour downloading and installing the bloated piece of junk that Apple is distributing to look at the movies. Once I had that loaded, I then found a way to convert the file to a more standard format, but I'm disappointed with the result. I think I should take the movie camera when I want movies and only use the still camera for regular pictures.

Posted 8/6/2006 10:46 (#33169 - in reply to #33154)

Is yours a 8 or 9.0 version? Try 5.0 or newer 5.05 slimmed-down version which is far less bloated than newer versions.
Ed Boysun
Posted 8/6/2006 12:41 (#33198 - in reply to #33169)

I think I had a version somewhere around 6.0??? That one was a 12 meg file and seemed to install quickly and only leave one piece of spy-ware when it installed. Problem arose with the conversion program I downloaded. It needed at least 7.0.1. I'm not sure what that particular version consisted of, but was not able to find it as whenever I found a link to it, it directed me to what now passes for 7.1 and comes wrapped along with ITunes. As far as I could figure out, you need to install the ITunes component to get the Quicktime stuff installed. The download for that one is 35 megs or so and it also installs a piece of spyware, in addition to trying to become the default player for all of your media types.
Posted 8/6/2006 21:19 (#33326 - in reply to #33198)

Looked like you got the file from file storage coms such as tuscow or download.com without checking for an exact size of the file you wanted at Apple site. Then you can cut off tranferring once you see files being slight larger about 100 to 200 kb more. Ah, spyware! Look elsewhere for an exact size file to save me from headaches and grief.
Ed Boysun
Posted 8/6/2006 22:26 (#33366 - in reply to #33326)
Subject: Quicktime Spyware

I downloaded the install file directly from Apple's site.

If you have Quicktime installed on your computer, you have installed spyware with it. It's part of the deal. Bring up Task Manager and check running processes. Notice Qttask.exe? That is Apple supplied spyware, my friend. It's job is to phone home to Apple every time you play a media file of some sort and let them know about it. Quicktime runs OK without it, so I normally use Hijack This to remove it.

Edited: Something has evidently changed. When last I read about Qttask, the Hijack This folks pronounced it spyware. I see that has now been changed to an unnecessary program, but not spyware. Sorry for any confusion.

It is also a moot point, as I completely un-installed the bloat-ware Quicktime from this computer.

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)