AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

which pwerchip for '97 ford powerstroke 7.3 for better mileage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tbeck
Posted 8/4/2006 12:05 (#32604 - in reply to #32589)
Subject: RE: which pwerchip for '97 ford powerstroke 7.3 for better mileage

Culbertson, MT
go to www.thedieselstop.com for more info than you might ever need! Opinions vary, but it seems that custom programed chips with several settings are the best. I'm still waiting to get one for my pickup.

Now, something to consider is that the '94-97 Powerstroke (also noted as OBS-Old Body Style to differentiate from the Super Duty series) had a p___ poor down pipe from the turbo down towards the cat and muffler. The air system isn't great but can be substansially improved. I have made changes to my intake system by installing an open element filter from Tymar Performance and also adding a 3-4" exhaust system. The exhaust REALLY makes the difference. The downpipe is round on aftermarket systems versus the squashed flat factory setup. Now, you are going to need to "massage" the firewall to get the aftermarket system in there. That's why most use a 3" that transitions to 3 1/2" and then 4" as you get past the firewall. I used a system from AFE, with the muffler (I'm old enough that racket doesn't get me going like it used to...) and was pleased with the results. I run a '94 1/2 super cab F250 4x4, 5 spd. and 4.10 gears. After the intake and exhaust I figure I picked up about 2 mpg on the highway, and quite a bit of oomph based on my seat-of-the-pants dyno! You can tell the power when pulling loads in the trailers. The chips will help beynd this point, but first things first: an engine has to breathe in and out well before making other changes! Oh yeah, figure on adding a pyrometer and boost gauge so you can tell whats going on under the hood, especially when you go to the chip. All of these newer diesels are too expensive to fry! Good luck! Tom
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)