AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strenght of square tube vs. round pipe
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 8/4/2006 08:42 (#32533 - in reply to #32466)
Subject: RE: Strenght of square tube vs. round pipe

Oklahoma
Since you mentioned using it for a corral I thought I would make a comments that might help, or might not, take them for what they are worth. My dad is a vet and back in late 80s built a new facility. He looked at numerous operations and got input from lots of sources on design and what to build it with. His motto was build it buffalo tough and kid proof. He, my grandpa and dad's uncle built the corral all out of 2 3/8 drill stem with the tub having solid sides out of galv. sheet metal. They saddled every piece as from their research and experiece, squashing the pipe on ends weakened it some. To make the saddles, they cut one piece and worked on it until it fit perfect, then made a pattern out of light PVC pipe so for each saddle they wrapped the pattern around the pipe, chalked it, cut it and it welded it.

For the tub they welded enough pipe together to make one continuous joint around the 12 ft radius then bent it as one piece to match a plywood cutout so each piece matched (3 rails total, top, bottom, and middle).

When people have asked Dad about regrets or changes he would make to the corral and setup, he has two things he would do different if doing it again. 1. Use all new pipe as some of the gates were good #1 used and in the 20 years since, they have rusted from the inside out and had to be replaced. 2. He would find a 24 ft grain bin ring to use for the tub and just set the ring down, set posts at each interval and then come back to weld pipe between posts instead of bending the pipe.

Not exactly answers to your specific questions but hopefully something that might help your situation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)