AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old barn lumber --- Is it worth anything?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/3/2006 07:38 (#32207 - in reply to #32187)
Subject: RE: Old barn lumber --- Is it worth anything?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Don't know, I'm in somewhat the same situation. I have a 50 year old barn that I need to remove. This barn is of the laminated rafter design. The barn has some sentimental value as it (and me) were on the Septemeber 1954 cover of Successful Farming. Repairing it would be possible but I still would not have a very useful building in the end so replacement is my intention.

A crew disamantled a 100 year old barn on a neighboring farm. This was the style of construction that used massive timbers and pegs. The farmer was paid for the right to tear down this barn for the lumber.

I asked the crew boss if he had any interest in my barn. He looked at mine but indicated that mine was "too new" and that he was not interested in it for the lumber. He would have his crew tear it down for a fee and attempt to help me sell the lumber.

At this point, I'm thinking that a match is the best solution. This is a shame with the high cost of lumber but apparently nobody wants to build with used lumber unless it is for some special purose where the "old" look is desirable.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)