AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finally some corn up here..........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

wildcat1
Posted 4/23/2008 09:37 (#363678)
Subject: Finally some corn up here..........

South Central Kansas
Got done planting Monday, the corn planted April 5 is finally up. Not sure I have ever seen corn take so long to come up. It cooled off and rained after we got that first round in and didn't get any more planted until April 16th. The last three days of planting is completely sprouted as the ground has warmed up nicely.

The hedge trees here are just now putting out leaves, that's when the old timers say you should start planting. They rarely get frozen.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kinzepower
Posted 4/23/2008 10:26 (#363701 - in reply to #363678)
Subject: Re: Finally some corn up here..........

SW Ontario
Where are you from?
Planting corn here in S ontario since the weekend, nothing up yet!!
Weather has been very warm, over 70 during the day.
wildcat1
Posted 4/23/2008 22:14 (#363940 - in reply to #363701)
Subject: Re: Finally some corn up here..........

South Central Kansas
We are in South Central Kansas, southeast of Wichita, just on the east edge of the largest winter wheat growing area in the world. Corn is coming back here after being replaced by grain sorghum since the middle 50s.

These new hybrids are way better than they were even 10 years ago. We have always raised corn, but have a few more acres the last few years. We have had corn up as early as the first week of April here, though that's rare.

Cowboycorn who posts on this forum usually is done planting corn in March, he farms about 60 miles southwest of here in North Central Oklahoma.

Good luck with your corn! We all need a crop!
notillgleaner
Posted 4/23/2008 22:27 (#363960 - in reply to #363678)
Subject: RE: Finally some corn up here..........

Central Kansas
I'm probably 60 miles north of you. Planted some on the 24th of March. Today, one month later, I saw some poking out of the ground! I kept checking and found sprouts. Does the corn seed these days ever rot in the ground like they use to talk about?
wildcat1
Posted 4/23/2008 22:35 (#363969 - in reply to #363960)

South Central Kansas
I've rarely seen it stay as cool as it did the first two weeks of April. Ground finally warmed up last week. I have an 18 acre field that was just like concrete that I rotary hoed. This 6 tenths today should help it get up.

Did you get that 5 inches today they were talking about in Marion County? Hope not.
notillgleaner
Posted 4/23/2008 23:39 (#364036 - in reply to #363969)

Central Kansas
I was just on the edge of that. Got 1.5" here but the Cottonwood river is high here from the rain farther north.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)