AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

notill spraying ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ken cen-pa
Posted 4/21/2008 20:16 (#362797)
Subject: notill spraying ?

cental pa along the Susquehanna River
Do you guys do your burndown ahead of planting ? Do you put anything with your burndown ? I am thinking about putting the Roundup and Lexar down together would you put it down ahead or after the planting ? Some fields are fairly clean[bean stubble] but some we had put some cover crop on[3-4'' tall] small grain. Any feedback appreciated. Everyone be safe. ps this is for corn
Top of the page Bottom of the page
pat-michigan
Posted 4/21/2008 21:06 (#362825 - in reply to #362797)
Subject: RE: notill spraying ?

Thumb of Michigan
We like to spray burndown after we plant. Makes it easier on the spray operater. We're pretty low tech, though. All we have is foam markers and planter rows for guidance. We feel we get better control with our premerge and/or residual because the planter doesn't disturb the chems.

Generally, we try to have zero living cover in ground going to corn, however. If you have something growing there now, you need to watch your timing a lot closer. All kinds of corn negative nasty bugs and slugs and such may get ticked off that their cover is dying. And your corn is coming up about then. You can guess the rest of the story..
George_CPA
Posted 4/21/2008 21:57 (#362866 - in reply to #362797)

Patton, PA
As long as I can strip till into it, we will put down our round up, degree and a shot of 30% right behind the planter.

Does a good job, and saves a sprayer pass. Most times, in bean stuble, the fields are pretty clean, but there is always some little stuff coming thru that will be a problem a few weeks latter.

We rarely need to go back in w/ round up.
msb
Posted 4/21/2008 22:19 (#362893 - in reply to #362797)

Lapel, In
If you use 2-4-D then use the ester formula and it needs to be on for about a week.! Less if the temperature is really warm. Its really cheap and will get those weeds that RU will not touch. I prefer to use Weedone 638. DO NOT USE AMINE ! It sticks around too long and a rain on it will turn soybeans into something that resembles Bubble Gum.

Edited by msb 4/21/2008 22:20
Phred
Posted 4/22/2008 21:01 (#363367 - in reply to #362893)

NE Mo
Bob, if going to beans, why not use 2 4 DB ?? (Butyrac)
Hawken Cougar
Posted 4/21/2008 22:39 (#362925 - in reply to #362797)
Subject: RE: Have done both.

So. IL
Before cover crops were planted we would plant into what ever was growing and spray the burndown with the pre-emergence immediately after planting. Typically gramoxone, atrazine, crop oil and something for grass. The quick activity of gramoxone made it easier to respray if a skip happened.

With cover crops such as annual ryegrass we are applying a burndown ahead of planting. The goal is at least two weeks ahead of the planter. We then apply the pre-emergence herbicides immediately after planting. Weather dictates when we plant. Have seen a month and more after the burndown that we finally got to plant. Damn glad in those instances that we applied a burndown ahead of time.

No matter which method you choose there will always be a year or two where just the opposite of what you decide to do would have been better. Gotta love farming when that happens.

Edited by Hawken Cougar 4/21/2008 22:47
panotiller
Posted 4/21/2008 23:09 (#362957 - in reply to #362797)

Lewisburg, PA
Ken ,
Is that corn up yet we got around 100 planted. That rain was really nice.
With your row cleaners you could burndown before but don't put your lexar on because you move to much soil and expose new weed seeds. 80% of the time I put it all down preemergence after planter. Just watch you cover crops that they don't suck to much moisture. If your cover crop is pretty thick I would get it sprayed now, with this warm weather everything is jumping. Im still waiting on my sprayer cross my fingers wenseday or thursday. Luke
ScottPA
Posted 4/22/2008 06:45 (#363083 - in reply to #362797)

Jersey Shore, PA
Ken,
Agree with Luke on the row cleaners exposing a new weed area. Although one year I used harness xtra and balance pro about 10 days pre plant, got a nice rain, and got no weed escapes even with the row cleaners. Maybe just got lucky? This year it's all pre emerge with glyphosate and prowl h20. Cant imagine using the old prowl, because this stuff is turning everything yellow.............does seem to wash off ok though. Ours is in bean stubble too.

Got around an inch here Sun, hope to be back at it by Wed or so. Good luck w/the planting.

Scott
Ed Winkle
Posted 4/22/2008 07:40 (#363096 - in reply to #362797)
Subject: Re: notill spraying ?

Martinsville, Ohio
What a bunch of pro's! Everyone of you have excellent points that work!

No wonder this page is so popular, you can print this thread out and hang it on the office wall!

Robert, 638 is a powerful product, always works as described.

We are planting corn! Yippee!

Ed Winkle
Brian sepa
Posted 4/22/2008 08:15 (#363114 - in reply to #362797)

Lancaster County, Pa.
Hi Ken, 2 years ago I planted corn into bean stubble that had patches of chickweed that had not been killed yet.  Thats the year I learned that Poncho 1250 does NOT control cutworm.  Either burn down first or make sure your covered in the insectide department.  IMO
Cliff SEIA
Posted 4/22/2008 13:04 (#363225 - in reply to #362797)

We've been putting down some Basis Gold with our burn down or if weather permits it goes on early enough that there is nothing to burn down.  For our no-till ground a fall chemical application has worked great, it gives us a clean field to plant into and it gives us a wider window to get our spraying done after planting.  Last fall was the first year since '01 we haven't done any fall spraying (weather didn't allow it) and of course it's turned into a wet spring where we haven't been able to spray much of anything yet but in fields where we used to have very heavy winter annual weed pressure we have very little now, by not letting those weeds germinate for several years we have almost eliminated them from being a problem now.
gafarmer
Posted 4/22/2008 22:03 (#363428 - in reply to #363225)

Willacoochee, GA
We always burn down prior to planting. The main reason was when I spray at 9-10mph with a 2wd tractor, the tractor wanted to slide into the sub-soiler furrow. We have done it both ways, and from a control standpoint, did not see an advantage to one over the other, except for moisture conservation. Spraying ahead of planting has gotten easier though since we bought the Raven Envisio. Just my humble opinion, and I know that all of you are more experienced than me.
Ken cen-pa
Posted 4/24/2008 23:54 (#364753 - in reply to #362797)

cental pa along the Susquehanna River
Thanks for all the feed back guys. I have one guy that helps me out with alot of my questions but I hate to always be bothering him. Where is that sprayer at ????? LOL
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)