AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Your thought's on a repair job gone bad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 7/26/2006 05:53 (#29940)
Subject: Your thought's on a repair job gone bad

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
I need some thoughts as what to do with a problem with a dealer repair. I called a dealer to come and replace leaking seals in a right angle gearbox and hydrostatic. on my SP windrower. They said no problem, they set the date to come, never showed for a full week. That was no problem because I was not needing it for three weeks. So they got there pulled gearbox took it back to shop, said seals had to be installed from inside/out in box. When I got home that day I see that they disabled the machine right in front of another machine in my shop that I needed in a couple of days. I was a little hot about that, but I called and asked when they would return, they said might be a few days.

They got there before I needed the other machine to install gearbox, but as I came into the shop the Tech. just about had gearbox installed, I asked him about the seals in hydrostatic drive, he said nobody told him about replacing them. I told him that was the whole reason to have him come and do the work, as they were both leaking. So he stopped, called shop and had a parts runner drive out with a new seal for hydro. He installed it, then told me there was a update on the gearbox/ hydro. It needed a fan kit to help keep them cool to help stop seals from cooking. It ran off the drive line to gearbox. They had to order it. So he came back out two weeks later and put it on. I thought we were done with repair job. I let it set for a week, went to grease machine, and looked at hydro/gearbox and saw Tech had busted flange on hydro that you bolt gearbox too, only two bolts hold it on.

So I called shop foreman, asked them about it, he said the Tech would be in my area today, I told them I needed to to be running it. They told me to go head and run it. I told them it wasn't leaking, but it's broke, and I don't know how long it would hold in place. I was gone doing other work, and Tech came and took a look at it when my boy was running it. He told my boy that to replace hydro complete was $1,700 for parts. He said to just run it. So when I got home I called Tech. and asked him about it. He said he was sorry if he broke it, but he didn't offer to fix it. It had never been off since it was new, and if it was a old break when he took it apart it would have fell off. I told the Tech I would talk to shop foreman in a couple of days about it.

So my question is, what is the right thing to expect from dealer on repair. To foot the whole bill, parts, labor,etc.? Or just labor, or parts ? Or nothing. I don't want to stick them, but I also don't want to get stuck on this deal. I would like your thoughts on this matter. Also as a side note the dealer has helped me out in a pinch or two before when I've had machines down, but I've also paid my fair share to them. Like the time they brought a demo tractor and baler to me to try, my baler went down that weekend, I used their's for 200 bales more than I should have, but I told them I would pay for use of tractor and baler, which I did. I want to keep a good relationship with them, what should I ask of them in this matter?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)