AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

15" wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bob nwOH
Posted 7/9/2006 18:31 (#25125 - in reply to #25027)
Subject: RE: 15" wheat

This is my experience for what is is worth. I have planted wheat in 15 in rows for three years using a Kinze 16/32 planter with cast closing wheels ( we have heave clay soil) I use soybean plates with a special plate with seal over the bean plate to keep the seed in. I aim for 160,000 seed per acre. (15 in or 7.5 in same rate per acre, 160,000) I went this way to eliminate the need for a drill. (I had (2) JD 750's still have one and rent it to a neighbor. I'm ready to sell it since I feel comfortable planting wheat with the planter. First year, no test plots. Last year, all 15 in wheat with 4 plots 7.5 in. The 7.5 in wheat averaged about 7 bu/ac better then 15 in wheat. So this year I fabricated a marker at the rear of the planter to double back and plant 7.5 in. (40 ft planter twice over is 20 ft--- still better then 15 ft drill and I drive the planter faster (6.5 mph) then I did the drill (5.5 mph). This years wheat. First time out. The marker I made wasn't strong enough and after a couple rounds (at half rate intending to double plant) and the weather threating ran that night, I raised the rate to 160,000 and planted the field to 15 in rows. I was able to double back on the half rate rows and get 7.5 in row strip before the rain hit late that night. The 75.3 acre field made 85.4 bu/acre over the scale. Comparing a 25 ft pass in each 7.5 in and 15 in next to it with my combine monitor, the 7.5 in wheat was better by about 9 bu per acre. (this is the best wheat year I have ever had in my 46 years farming) As a side note: I also had a pass at 1/2 rate since it started to rain and that was only 3 bu/ac. less then full rate. I rebuilt the marker on the planter and planted all my other wheat in 7.5 in. double planting it. I did 2 test strips in another field by double planting but driving ON the same row. In this field, same testing method, one strip 7.5 in was about 3 bu/ac. LESS and the other strip the 7.5 in wheat was 7 bu/ac. MORE. That 40 acre field made a tick over 93 bu/ac. To say the least I was elated with the wheat crop this year. I saw no difference in weed pressure and was not sprayed for weeds or anything else. I'm willing to share any other information. My e-mail is [email protected].
Bob
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)