AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

OLD Tractors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

FarmerTom
Posted 7/7/2006 07:46 (#24598 - in reply to #24586)
Subject: RE: OLD Tractors

Penobsquis, New Brunswick, Canada
i have just started farming some local land.....poor land ...neglected.

i am in the farm machinery business, buying and selling used, have been for near 30 years. had a David Brown 880 (red) on the lot that didn't seem to gather any interest so i decided it may as well be working as sitting. i changed the rear tires from 13.6-28 to 16.9-30, more footprint, more clearance......removed the antiquated David Brown hydraulic system and replaced it with a 3 spool valve to operate the 3 point hitch in position control and supply 2 auxliary cylinders.....added 500 lbs of weight on the front.......new seat.......better access to the operator's position.....better sway arms.......left the engine alone.......was good at 35 hp. repaired as required.

this is the main tractor for now....gets lots of use. a 3 tooth chisel at 12" makes it really work as does a 14' duckfoot cultivator but the 6 row planter (no fertilizer) is a toy..generally the 3 x 14" plow is easy to pull.....and all the chores the rock wagon, the bush cutter, the grain seeder, the harvest box are all easy.

with our small land base this tractor fits good......although i doesn't cover much acreage per hour..(compared to the 200hp giants)....the 3/4 to 1 gal per hour fuel consumption makes me feel good.

our land base is rapidly growing and as $ permit, a larger unit will be put into use for the heavy work, but this tractor will be used for the easier jobs.

i farm cereals and dry edible beans

my 2 cents
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)