AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Roundup Ready Alfalfa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

W Guenther NeNE
Posted 7/5/2006 19:49 (#24292 - in reply to #24044)
Subject: RE: Roundup Ready Alfalfa

West Point, NE
Well I don't know if I am the best person to give advice but what the he// someone else might as well learn what not to do. We bought the bullet last fall and ordered 400 lbs of RR Alfalfa seed from NC+ to sow this spring on 20 acres.

I will first say this was not a spring to sow something, the whole month of march no rain, April only 2 in. in the last week, May 0.50 in about 4 rains followed by 90+ degree days and windy, it rained 2 in June 20 and 3 in a week later.

We sowed the alfalfa on May 7 ( 85% chance of rain ) into 20 in. corn residue that had been Turbo Tilled and field finished, then sowed it with a Brillion drop seeder, too much residue on soil to work great and very hard to see where went. Wanted the residue for erosion control. tried to harrow after but residue caused trouble, tried packing but could not see where I went so I called it good, figured rain would work.

Well some seed got in moist ground and germinated maybe 1/4 to 1/3 stand. The rest finally came when it rained so have 1.5 foot and 2-4 in alfalfa. It was sprayed June 30 with 32 oz of weathermax and 10 oz of select for the RR volunteer corn. it looks great and could not find a single dead alfalfa plant that was not resistant. Will post pics if wanted.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)