AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Injection pump, JD 4010
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon
Posted 7/3/2006 23:06 (#23872 - in reply to #23732)
Subject: RE: Injection pump, JD 4010

Callao Missouri
I could have saved you a boat load of money on a pump. I have one in the old refrigerator in the shop off my 4010, I put a newer pump with the timing advance and electric fuel shut off on my 4010. As fare as timing the unit, run the flywheel up to 10* btdc or 14* btdc, I cant remember, but I do know for a fact that my IT manual has that figure wrong so I do the other of what it says and it is out in the shop. You can check with a flash light, look down in the inj pump shaft hole, and there is a timing mark V stamped on the end of the oil pump, if that is faceting or a bit passed the cam shaft you are on 1 compression stroke where you need to be. If it is pointing away from the cab you need to turn the flywheel 360* before pump installation. then slide the pump on, connect the lines be sure to use new washers on the banjo bolts and you are set, you may have to dynamic time it a bit after you get it running. ( dynamic timing is loosen the two mounting bolts ever so slightly and rotate the pump forward and back with channelocks till the engine sounds its best at all rpm levels, re tighten the two nuts.

I strongly caution you to not just throw that pump on. The umbrella seals on the pump shaft should be replaced and chances are the governor ring is getting hard and brittle if it is not broke already. If any of the above mentioned items are ageing it could fill the crank case full of fuel, or plug the return line with governor ring parts soon after installation and use witch will lead to running for a short time and dyeing. The seal kit for that pump is only $70 and it comes with the above mentioned items. If the pump housing needs a bushing pressed in or a metering valve that is extra but most times you can get by without depending on age. It takes oprox 4 hrs labor to disassemble, inspect, clean, and reassemble the pump for installation and then you are set.

Buy the way, rosamaster pumps do seize the head every now and then, it is happening more and more often with the poorer fuel we are getting now. One other thing that will kill a rosa master is a sudden temp change of the pump head, most commonly referd to as power washing around the inj pump while warm.

Sorry about the book Jon
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)