AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

help me understand plant tissue test
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 6/25/2006 23:14 (#21993 - in reply to #21778)
Subject: Sulfur?

Rolla, ND
I didn't see a sulfur test result. That would kind of baffle me since sulfur is quite important to corn, and deficiencies are not rare, particularly on sandy soil and particularly early in the year.

Sulfur deficiency would cause yellowing, Usually the youngest tissue would be more severely affected as contrasted with nitrogen deficiency where older tissue would be worst due to plant moving nitrogen to younger tissue. Sulfer won't move the same way in the plant.

It is common to have an early deficiency go away with sulfur when the roots move deeper into the profile. Sulfur is water soluble so it can move down in the profile and while still available, the plant doesn't get enough until it grows sufficient roots into the zone with the sulfur.

Everything you said so far would be consistant with sulfur deficiency including the higher nitrogen test on the sick corn. Since the sulfer and the nitrogen are both used in protein synthesis, the lack of sulfur will actually cause the nitrogen to accumulate at least some because it can't get used by the plant without sufficient sulfur.

So that would be my guess, sulfur.

Marv
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)