AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

R/C Aircraft for crop pictures
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Biff
Posted 6/21/2006 19:27 (#21066 - in reply to #20682)
Subject: RE: R/C Aircraft for crop pictures

About 20 years ago I tried to take some movies from my r/c plane. I used a Balsa USA Cub kit and built a hardpoint above the cabin to mount the camera. The camera was rented from the local VHS movie store -probably a super8mm.. I insured it to the max. The engine was a Quadra 42cc gas engine with a 20X6 prop.. As I recall the takeoff took all the runway and the climbout was pretty slow. When the plane pitched up or down it would tend to stay in that attitude so the entire flight was full throttle. With these feather weight cameras nowadays it wouldn't be much af a problem. I did 2 flights with the camera pointed front and back. With the front facing camera I should have angled it down through the prop arc a little more. There is lots of blue sky but when the angle was right there were some very nice views. Rear-facing was great with the control surfaces in view all the time. On the second landing the gear gave way and I nosed over and broke the prop. It was fun, the movies are great but no value whatsoever for scouting crops.
Biff
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)