AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why no AMS in glyphosate
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 6/18/2006 15:58 (#20362 - in reply to #20348)
Subject: Wish I knew......

Nevada, Iowa
..........wasn't AMS originally called for to soften the water? I did do a google and found AMS to be acidic and is used in some situations to lower ph, I assume that is what "they" wanted us to do with our hard water. But what if your water is naturally soft? Ours isn't so I guess I shouldn't wonder.

I do wonder, and this is purely speculation, that there is some organic content in the AMS that would actually serve to deactivate the roundup over time and that may be why it is not prepackaged. I wasn't able to determine from google what actually neutralizes ru but we know that it does when in contact with the soil or suspended in a water solution too long.

Personally, having tried a little, I won't spray ru without it. I have tried the liquid stuff and don't prefer it when conditions are tough. I also add a little extra surfactant when it gets hot and dry. No scientific data to back this up, just seat of the pants stuff.

Having said that, I have a friend who swears he adds nothing. No AMS, no NIS, just water and 32 ozs. of the cheapest generic the market can generate. Claims to have excellent control. Bottom line, I dunno!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)