AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RTK Problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/14/2006 07:50 (#19380 - in reply to #19357)
Subject: Rutting

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
This does not petain to the RTK problems but the term "rutting" caught my eye.

Yesterday I was respraying some corn for a second time. This is with a pull type sprayer with a relatively long hitch. I have a lightbar but the driving is all done manually in this tractor.

I resprayed two fields. In the first field I got along fine but in the second field the sprayer seemed to "dogtrack" at times, hitting the corn and pushing it somewhat sideways. I increased my dilegence and really concentrated on driving properly.

Later I reflected on as to why I had problems in the one field and not the other. Both fields had very moderate slopes and the problem was not occuring specifically on the slopes. What were the differences between the two fields?

The first field was planted with AutoPilot On and working well on the planter tractor which meant that the rows were very straight. The other field was planted without Autopilot and was a bit crooked.

My sprayer is double the width of my planter, so I drive on every other set of planter tracks when I spray. In the first field, I resprayed starting from the opposide side so I was not following my first pass spray pattern. In the problem field I was following my first pass sprayer tracks.

When full, the sprayer tires (tractor tires running backwards) leave ruts at times. Now I'm thinking that in the problem field, my sprayer was following these ruts created by the first pass spraying. I was probably a bit sloppy in spraying the first pass since the corn was quite small.

Edited by tedbear 6/14/2006 07:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)