AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Selling hay to Alpaca owners?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

nmiller
Posted 9/13/2007 08:44 (#203025 - in reply to #202736)
Subject: Alpaca owners

NE Ohio
Just delivered a load of third cutting OG last night to an alpaca farm...
It is a nice niche for our farm. We plant around 50 acres just for this purpose (80% OG and 20% alfalfa). The hay is a dream to make compared to alfalfa in that is dries down easier, doesn't loose color and is nice to handle. Selling to Alpaca owners is no different than horse or cattle farms. We have been stiffed by them all. Since you asked, I would actually say that I prefer an alpaca owner to deal with. Yes some are eccentric and require more of a salesman approach but there is a premium available for this extra effort and the checks usually float. I would encourage you to probe further into the opportunity.

BTW, who would have ever thougth the alpaca industry would have lasted this long? I just cannot see any substance to the market. They have no meat value and little wool value (yes I know it is extrememly high quality and there are some small sales but overall it is my understanding that you cannot move it as a commodity to any broker or co-op). I guess it is a high end pet market? We all have our hobbies...

-Nick
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)