AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Electric fencer ratings
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Fenceman
Posted 9/4/2007 23:25 (#198503 - in reply to #198167)
Subject: RE: Electric fencer ratings

NE
You are correct....the milage rating is really a advertising gimick. A 20 mile fencer is when there is no draw on fence ,completely weed free and sopping wet ground at best ..it might carry a slight charge 20 miles !
If you want a accurate measure of the fencer look for "Joules" That is the true indicator of what you've bought . Also don't fall for the advertized gimick of "stored joules" either . You want Joules output . If you find a energizer with even 2 Joules I'll bet it will knock you on your butt ...not sure I can say that about a 20 or 30 mile fencer without stated joule outputs. You'll find the New Zealand brand fencers state joules readily...not so with USA brands...they'll say 20 miles .
Other myth is farmers will say it lights up 5 lights or 9.9 on my digital tester...thats really saying how well your charge is carrying on that particular fence....has nothing to do with "how hot " the bite is. Simple test to prove this is hook up a 15 Joule energizer ..most likely will read 9.9 on a good fence.....hook up a 20 mile on same fence ,it might read 9.9 also . Now touch the two fences or short them out with steel object see which snaps a arc the best. After your heart starts to beat again you'll know for yourself ! :-)
Fenceman
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)