AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

backgrounding beef calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

wheat farmer
Posted 7/13/2007 22:51 (#173949 - in reply to #173819)
Subject: RE: backgrounding beef calves

Depends on market fluctuations and the cost of the calves.  I have done this for the last two years and wonder why I didn't start doing this about 22 years ago when my dad helped me buy my first 160 acres.  Seems right now to have a higher return per acre than any crops in this area.

The main thing is to be able to get about 1.5 to 2 pounds of gain per day as low cost as possible.  Be aware of market changes and follow the futures markets.  Make sure if you are using a contracted supplier that the calves are weaned and had all their shots, or else discount the price a little.  If you are locked in on delivery time and price to a feedlot, that would be great, but make sure they are not knocking you down for little things like size consistency or fleshiness.  I go through a couple of the local sale barns so the regional market prices are a vital piece of information as to when to sell the calves and also when to buy them.

Good corrals and fences are a must to limit amount of time and energy expended in taking care of the calves.  I found a good scale also aids the sorting prior to sale to let me take in a like size of calves.  A bunch of 10 about the same weight usually will bring more at auction than 10 in groups of 3 or 4.

Sometimes it is an easy way to make lots of money quick and other times it is a quick way to lose money fast.  Best of luck.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)