AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Morton Shed - Sliding Door Guides
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/8/2007 07:57 (#160000)
Subject: Morton Shed - Sliding Door Guides

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I am having a new machine shed/shop built by the Morton folks. I have talked to others who have Morton buildings and they are generally happy with the buildings but complain about the door guides for sliding doors.

My building will have an overhead door on the shop end but will have a 36' sliding door on the opposite end for the machine storage part of the building.

Morton's guide system seems to consist of three guides for a door of this size. There is one in the center where the two doors meet and one on each side halfway out. Morton's system consists of a buried wooden post covered with plastic with the guide on top.

The other owners have compained of misalignment, movement and general problems with this arrangement.

It would seem to me that some type of a removable guide coulde be constucted. I got this idea from my neighbor's shed. In that shed, he cemented a piece of square tubing into the ground. This tubing acts somewhat like a reciever hitch. Either the door guide (fitted with a mating piece of square tubing) or a "blank" shield is placed into the tubing in the ground. Basically he opens the doors, pulls out the guide and replaces it with the blank and then drives the machinery in or out. One would need to discipline themselves to perform this procedure each time the door was used.

Has anyone done this or better yet have pictures?

I brought up this idea to the sales Rep but apparently I need to let the Morton folks put their guides in for warranty considerations. After they have left, I guess I could do whatever I wanted to do.

Edited by tedbear 6/8/2007 20:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)