AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AMD equivilent to Pentium?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Omar
Posted 5/6/2006 05:57 (#10255 - in reply to #10205)
Subject: RE: AMD equivilent to Pentium?

Elmira, Ontario

That's a good point to make sure the programs you run were developed for that speed computer. We had one of those AMD 350 units and my brother had one as well. I think we had 128mb of memory which was fine with Win98.

It worked perfectly fine for Win98SE and Word Perfect Office 8. I'd have no problem saying it will also run WinNT and MS Office 97 based on my experience running other computers with similar speed Intel processors. I wouldn't think of upgrading to WinXP on that box, which also means you can't run any new version of Office on it. You should be able to run any current browsers and browser based games. Open Office would be painful on that computer.

As far as games go, you definitely have to read the box carefully. One of the reasons we upgraded the kids computer was my son got a game for Christmas a couple years back that required a Pentium III. It also required a better video card than is likely to be in that old computer. We've had the kids using a Pentium IV 2.4ghz for 18 months now with no complaints.

Long and short, I now have two AMD 350 boxes sitting beside a Pentium II 550 in storage here somewhere that also won't play the games my kids want.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)