AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wireless satellite internet from house to shop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 5/7/2006 23:33 (#10549 - in reply to #8983)
Subject: RE: Wireless satellite internet from house to shop

Grand Rapids, MI
There are both wired and wireless solutions that should work for you.

For wired you would need a $20 switch on each end with Cat 5e cable between. Regular Cat 5e is about $60-70 per 1000ft. You would need to keep it dry though. You can also get direct burial cable for a little more, no need for conduit etc. You would also need to crimp on some ends. If you have some patience you can do this with about $30 worth of tools.

You could also do this wirelessly. It would take an access point at each end with probably a "patch" type antenna. Probably looking at $200 or so worth of equipment.

Wired once you get it in place is the most reliable, but you need to do the trenching, etc. which can be quite a lot of work. Wireless is pretty quick, but a bit less reliable.

Give us some idea about what you have hooked to either end, and your thinking about whether you have the ability and desire to bury cable, and myself or someone else can give you more specific advice.

Loren

P.S. I think I have a client that has a wireless link that they were using when they were on Satellite internet. They now have a fixed wireless and the provider added an antenna at each site back to the providers antenna so they are not using it any more. If interested, let me know I'll bet they would give you a good deal.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)