AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

garmin 16A 5hz receiver any good for guidance???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Don Smith
Posted 4/28/2006 15:15 (#8404 - in reply to #8370)
Subject: RE: garmin 16A 5hz receiver any good for guidance???

Centre county Pennsylvania, USA
Alan, Those two and the Raystar & Garmin 17n are the only low cost WAAS enabled DGPS receivers that I have tested and used here on the farm. I haven't found any low cost WAAS enabled DGPS receiver that has performance even close to the Novatel unit, but that doesn't mean they don't exist, just means I haven't found any, yet. The Novatel is a great smart antenna for the money but we have moved on to integrated terrain compensated guidance systems such as EzGuide/Steer and Starfire iTC. We farm in very hilly terrain, terrain errors are greater than even Garmin 16 DGPS errors here, terrain compensation guidance has eliminated those dominant guidance errors for us.

The attached screensnaps show the horizontal scatter for 4 hour static scatter tests I ran, here on the farm, for both Garmin 16 and Novatel WAAS enable smart antennas. The Novatel smart antenna is label CMC in the screensnap, that was what it was called before Novatel bought out CMC, DGPS engine is same as that used in Novatel smart antenna now.

Good luck with choice

(Garmin GPS16 Hscatter.gif)

(Novatel smartantenna Hscatter.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Garmin GPS16 Hscatter.gif (22KB - 582 downloads)
Attachments Novatel smartantenna Hscatter.gif (15KB - 575 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)