AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good Bye Old Friend
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Omar
Posted 4/23/2006 19:24 (#7318)
Subject: Good Bye Old Friend

Elmira, Ontario

Well, I'm finally biting the bullet and upgrading my main system from Win98SE to WinXP Home. There were starting to be too many gremlins showing up and networking was just a bit flakey at times. Just when the kids needed to print something for school, the printer would disappear. Not good.

Rather than just re-format and start over with Win98, I decided to pick up a 160Gb drive, and a copy of Xphome and enter the modern era. I had a couple programs I would have liked to try that weren't compatible with Win98, so the decision was easy. I'm expecting that fewer hardware and software developers will know how to make programs run properly on the older O/S, so they'll just completely drop support. It's time I suppose.

I've got the new drive formatted, and some 50 plus updates downloaded. The main user settings are now changed. A couple more tests and I'll hook the old drive back up and copy the data files over. I may put the old drive in a spare computer in another room to provide additional backup protection. A basic Linux machine, maybe? Use one of the old Netware 5, four user trial versions I have?

I still have one program that I have old contact information that won't run on Xp, but the data is available elsewhere so it's not a huge loss. The program was written by Novell, and transferred to Corel when Word Perfect was bought out. Corel "updated" the program by completely re-writing it and eliminating the features that made me like it in the first place.

Anyway, I consider Win3.x and Win9.x to be the flashy children of my good buddy MSDOS. I had a lot of fun over the years goofing off with DOS, writing batch files, changing system settings (anybody feel like setting up network, sound and cdrom support in that o/s anymore?), trying new command.com replacements like 4DOS etc. I believe if you really want to know something, you have to look under the hood now and then. I did a lot of that in those days. I spent a lot of time back then with magazines copying code to make some mini-program to solve some serious computing dilemma. Win98 still let me feel like I was linking back to my glory computing days.

Farewell, don't come back.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)