AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Who uses a pressure cooker for canning veggies?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

shoptek
Posted 8/31/2009 08:02 (#830746 - in reply to #830313)
Subject: Re: Who uses a pressure cooker for canning veggies?

NW IOWA
We own 4 pressure canners. One that is a cast iron and hold 18 pint jars and is very heavy. It has a guage and rubber seal. ( Presto) I dislike this one as it takes forever to heat up and it has a guage to watch. I would never own another one. The other 3 (Presto and Mirro) hold 7 quart jars and are cast aluminum and have a weight for a pressure regulator. They have rubber gaskets and work very very well. I would buy nothing but them again. We bought one new and the other two used. The two were bought on Ebay and they both were like new for about 1/3 price. Just make sure that they say the bottom is flat and not warped. There are alot of like new cookers on there that I wouldn't be afraid of buying at all. We can about 300 quart a year through these cookers and never had a problem and we have canned for over 30 years. (30x300=9000 oh my gosh that is scary) We can string beans,carrots sweet potatoes,sour kraut,beats,tomatoes, (juice and whole) apple sauce. The nice thing about the weight type regulators is you don't have to watch them as close. We use two cookers outside on like a turkey fryer burner and one inside on the glass top stove. In summary buy an aluminum cooker that has a weight for a regulator and a rubber gasket. Buy one that holds 7 quart jars unless you want to do a lot of pints, then get a taller one that you can double deck pints so you can put 18 pints in it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)