AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help with pears
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

marlinpain
Posted 8/28/2009 14:54 (#827865 - in reply to #827838)
Subject: Re: Help with pears

45 miles south spingfield il.
I love pears,especially the supersweet ones. Since my husband is diabetic, I use them as sweetener for so many things.
Usually, I cook the pears and since they are so juicy I drain off the juice to can or freeze. Then the pulp that is left is made into either pear butter or made into fruit leather ( with my dehydrator).
I know these things are time consuming but in this day and age I think it is good to keep current with skills such as these (Yes I do love to garden and can so it seems like a joy instead of drudgery.)

My husband suggested I include my own pear story. I have a seckel pear tree that I have been nurturing for about 9 or 10 years. This year it had a crop for the first time,about 50 or 60 pears, of course there was the usual fruit drop. I figured my crop would be about 30 or 40 pears. One morning I went out there and every pear was gone even the ones on the ground. Mind you I had been looking at my precious pears every 3 or 4 days
and I couldn't imagine what happened.The only thing I can think of was possibly squirrels. But we haven't seen any squirrels around our place until about 3 days before the pears were gone............. I saw one squirrel.
He looked guilty. Cest la vie.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)