AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New agronomist looking for advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Idahoagronomist
Posted 3/27/2024 17:15 (#10683004)
Subject: New agronomist looking for advice

What is important to you in an agronomist/fertilizer company? I called myself a farmer for 12 years and couldn't work out the disagreements I had with family on the farm. I decided to move on and take a job as an agronomist/fertilizer salesman for Rocky Mountain Agronomics in Blackfoot, Idaho. I'll be moving to and working in a new area where I have no connections, but I will be inheriting business from the guy I am replacing. In the job interview I told them I'm no used car salesman and I can only sell a product if it's something I believe in. I wouldn't be able to sell a product if I didn't believe it was cost-effective for improving yields or otherwise worth the price with all benefits considered. This company is unique and should be competitive in that I will only be selling liquid acid fertilizers in custom formulations based heavily on soil test results and petiole samples. Best use case for liquid acid fertilizers would definitely be for potatoes, but could be a cost-effective solution for many crops with high nitrogen and phosphate needs in alkaline soils.

I would love if any farmers would share advice on what things I might do to build my business and get new customers. I know what things are important in my perspective as a farmer, but i'd like to know what others think. What things disappoint you in your current agronomist or fertilizer company? How loyal are you to them? Would you be turned off by a guy like me knocking on your door or cold calling to introduce myself and the company I represent? What would it take for you to consider working with a different agronomist/fertilizer company? From your perspective how much of your loyalty is driven by 1. relationship/trust 2. experience/knowledge 3. proven cost effective products 4. sound science behind the products 5. other?

Edit to add: Thanks for all your comments

Edited by Idahoagronomist 3/29/2024 13:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)