AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are All Family Farms Complicated? My Situation…
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

paul the original
Posted 5/31/2023 16:49 (#10251161 - in reply to #10251109)
Subject: RE: Are All Family Farms Complicated? My Situation…

southern MN
I should be farming myself at the moment, but:

Take back your land in 2024.

Buy a tractor and planter. 12 row with tractor to pull it isn’t going to break the bank, it will let you farm, manage things. You have 100 acres to work with. Nice used stuff, if this all fails for you can get the money back out of it.

Work with dad if you can, lots of trading his tillage equipment, you can plant some of his acres. Hard headed dads don’t go into this easy, but many will go with the flow eventually.

The year after get some weed control equipment, sprayer or whatever you use. Again can trade with dad, spray some of his, borrow some equipment you need.

At his age he is slowing down with less livestock. It doesn’t make sense for him to buy new stuff for 5-10 years. With family heath issues he will appreciate a less stressful planting season even if he doesn’t know it now yet.

As you plant and spray, he won’t have to work so hard. He might balk, but after a year it will be nicer for him, even if he never says so.

Third year deal with tillage or harvest, whatever the 2 of you need.

Transition. Do it.

If it doesn’t work you have your land and resell the equipment.

If the transition doesn’t work and dad blows up, well you tried. Are you really out anything.

Continue on as is and nothing good happens, nothing changes until it ends. There will be no transition on the current path.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)