AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are All Family Farms Complicated? My Situation…
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

paul the original
Posted 5/31/2023 12:09 (#10250857 - in reply to #10250808)
Subject: RE: Are All Family Farms Complicated? My Situation…

southern MN
Sounds like everyone is really disconnected.

Do you want to be farming more?

Is your wife on board with that?

What are your mom and dads plans for the future. This seems the real unanswered question. A mystery if they want you involved more or not at all. Might need a good sit down conversation, what is the future. Those can be hard to start when family traditions evolve to where they are for decades.

Are other family; mostly siblings involved in what happens in the future. They can tear a farm apart no matter the plans laid out, this is where having your own farm base of your own stuff protects you some down the road.

If you want to farm, take the bull by the horns and start farming your stuff. Sounds like you have 75 acres, could maybe rent the half from your dad and have 100 acres of your own?

Would show and prove to yourself you want in on all of it. Can get into that pretty cheap on machinery.

Would make it easier for you and dad to share in future years. If you both are farming something, can both share. Or, if that doesn’t work between the two of you, then you know and can continue to build on your own.

But it would be moving forward. Either way. Now you are sitting still.

Many will tell you to break from your parents and take care of your stuff. That’s not bad advise..... but it sounds like your family gets along, and hate to see a family farm get cold shoulders to each other if they don’t have to.

You do describe yourself as a part time hired hand. I think maybe you do need to step up and farm the whole crop through on some acres. Be a full time farmer part time.

Easy to type words many miles away and I don’t know a thing about your situation! Food for thought for what it’s worth I hope, good luck!

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)