AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Y drops
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/30/2023 05:10 (#10248990 - in reply to #10248728)
Subject: RE: Y drops

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
We have been using "Y" drops with our STS-10 Hagie for a couple of years now. The Hagie is 60/90'. Our Planter is 60' (24-30) so we leave the outermost wings folded over and use "Y" drops on every other row. In other words 12 sets to cover 24 rows. Ours are the MySideDrops brand which I believe is a farmer/family project. There are many brands at many prices. These are not as fancy as some but work fine for us.

Our Hagie is plumbed with 20" spacing. Since we are using one Y drop for two rows, the 12 assemblies are spaced 60" apart. The delivery hose connects to the nearest nozzle body and the unused ones are capped with blank covers. Each Y drop has orifices so that each side (row) gets the same amount.

The Y drop assemblies have a tapered tab on them that mates with a slow moving sign bracket which is permanently mounted along the boom at the appropriate locations. The weight of the Y drop assemblies keeps them mated. This makes installation/removal from year to year very easy. I purchased some large carbineers and eye bolts so we can hang the Y Drops up to the side for added clearance for transport between distant fields.

Some would argue that there should be a Y drop for each row so each side gets fertilizer. With the rates we use, we feel that every other row is sufficient which saves considerable weight and initial cost.

https://mysidedrops.com/

Edited by tedbear 5/30/2023 06:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)