AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat Yield
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

SamT
Posted 5/29/2023 09:24 (#10247919 - in reply to #10247633)
Subject: RE: Wheat Yield

Texas
Heat during grain fill will get you more than moisture. Wheat can pull deep moisture very good in mild weather. But in 100 degree days it can’t keep up if moisture is there in the top 6”.

I have some making 30 that didn’t get but .75 from joint to soft dough. But I moldboarded it last summer and caught a 4” rain early September that not a drop of ran off. Our weather this year has been very mild during grain fill. A lot of 65 at night and 80 days or cooler.

I scout a large amount of wheat and the common denominator in it hanging on in the drought is Phosphorus in the soil. A friend of mine that owns all his land and puts dry out every year before heavy tillage made a bunch of 50 bu stuff. He has neighbors not making that on they’re irrigated. Others putting P in the row with seed are making as much as double the yield of neighboring fields that just topdress N.

Of course after 3 days of it being dry enough to cut it’s rained every day for 10 days. I’ve had about 5” now! So far the white combine has kept its distance and I don’t think the wheat grain has ever been dry enough that it can sprout. Most loads of mine and what I saw in the book at the elevator were in the 13-15 range.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)