AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1770 NT E set question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/29/2023 06:21 (#10247638 - in reply to #10247587)
Subject: RE: 1770 NT E set question

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
We have that same combination of planter, cable drive and eSets. We do not seem to have your problem. We had our eSets checked by our seed dealer some years ago. I forget the readings but they seemed "higher" than you mention.

Our planter is a bit different than many as it uses the 1.6 bu. boxes with CCS rather than the mini boxes although I don't know that this would have any effect on your problem.

I have marked all components (Box itself, lid, corn disk, soybean disk, seed tube) with the row number. When we bring the planter out of storage we reinstall these components back together in the same row each year. The idea is that this might be helpful if and when problems occur. Then if we start moving parts around we can better keep track of what went where for troubleshooting.

As I understand your situation you just took those 3 row units to a dealer to be checked. The results seemed adequate on the test stand, the monitor didn't complain while planting, the seed is there but not evenly spaced. If this is the situation, I would strongly suspect a problem with the drive for those rows such as the cable drives not turning smoothly. Personally I considered removing our cables and lubricating them in some fashion for this year but we did not do that.

There is a small piece in the eSets that we have replaced due to wear. I forget the correct name for the piece but it has to do with "poking" the seeds out of the disk so they are dropped at the same point. It is difficult to explain without a picture but when the center portion of the piece wears down evenly with the outer edges it should be replaced. I believe we may need to replace ours again for the next year.

What are you using for a planter monitor? The newer systems might have alerted you to the problem although they would not have solved the problem. I know that perfect picket fence spacing is desirable but personally think this is over-hyped. I suspect your problem rows will do just as well as the others.

We used to plant in "hills" but that was a long time ago.

Edited by tedbear 5/29/2023 06:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)