AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rangepoint
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 5/28/2023 22:39 (#10247531 - in reply to #10247174)
Subject: RE: Rangepoint

Omnistar or Centerpoint WILL be better.     Range Point might be better, it depends greatly on where you are.   

Here in extreme NW Iowa, Rangepoint is not enough better than WAAS to be worth paying for the subscription.     We planted with it 1 year, I was greatly disappointed and never did that again.    I'd consider using it for tillage but IMO, its still not worth the subscription vs WAAS.

Someone at one time posted a map of all of the sites where the corrections for Rangepoint come from.   I'm basically as far from one of those sites as you can possibly be anywhere in the corn belt.

We eventually went to RTK because overtime its cheaper to pay for the unlocks and the RTK subscription is cheaper than the Omnistar or Centerpoint subscription.     

Just FYI, Omnistar and Centerpoint require one expensive ($2000+) unlock.  RTK requires 2 expensive ($2000+ x2) unlocks.    Rangepoint doesn't require an unlock, but you get what you pay for.

As for the EZ Steer, on straight back and forth passes, if you do the setup properly it can be as accurate as any other steering system.   It is not as good at doing curves/contours as some of the better/more expensive options.

We planted with EZ Steer for several years.  On the straight rows it was as accurate or possibly more accurate than the integrated steering that we have in the current planter tractor.    The integrated system is nicer for turning around, it will get itself on the line quicker when you engage.   The EZ Steer basically needs to be on the line before you engaged.

Edited by Kooiker 5/28/2023 22:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)