AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Flow issues with a Raven system
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

IHC 1470
Posted 5/29/2023 12:37 (#10248161 - in reply to #10247620)
Subject: RE: Flow issues with a Raven system

Idaho

Thank you for that explanation. Electrical unless I missed something it seems to be correct, I had the correct voltages and in the correct order on the flow valve plug on the tractor side. When I blew through the flow valve with the sensor connected to a power supply I could observe a pulsing voltage as it slowed down and it was reading 2.5 volts when it had more speed. I do not have a scope so no way to observe the actual signal. The only voltage I have not checked is to see if I have 12 volts to the control valve from the tractor as I did not think of it the other day. The drills are at the shop and the tractor is in the field at the moment. 

This valve package was suppose to have been sit up for some sort of turf sprayer I was told. The price was reasonable so I picked it up. After getting it there were some things that I questioned and if I was doing it again probably would have gone a different route. Unfortunately I was not able to return it or I would have. 

This package was actually sit up for 3/4 inch and I did not realize it at the time. I did change the inlet to the flow meter to 1 inch, outlet is still 3/4 and it is 3/4 until it gets out of the 3 on/off valves. From there it is 1 inch to the manifolds. I really would have preferred 1 inch through the complete system. So not sure if the jumping from 1 inch to 3/4 back to 1 inch is doing something weird or not. 

The one thing I did change was the loop of hose from flow to control valves. It was sit up with two 90 degree bends in a very short distance. I went to a long loop of 3/4 hose. I will not know if that makes a difference or not until I try the drills again. 

Where it is an install that has not worked correctly it could be several things. Just a process of rechecking until run across the issue I guess. 

If all the math was done correctly at the time for the speed 5 mph at a rate of 5 gpa on a 7 in spacing we came up with 4.52 oz/min/row which I believe is about 2.5 gpm required flow. The pump is supposed to be 5.5 gpm. 

When I was trying to get it to work on the first field I used it on I started out with the pressure relieve sit around 55 psi. It seemed to have a very hard time getting on rate at that pressure. I finally dropped it down to 20 psi and that helped a bunch. The other thing that helped was bumping the rate from 5 gpa to 6.5 gpa. I can not recall what the pressure reading was with the relieve sit high when the system was in operation. When sit 20 when in operation I was seeing as I recall 8 or so on the EPro screen. My neck does not bend real well anymore so I bought the pressure transducer so I can read from inside the cab.

It seems like with more flow or pressure to the system the harder it became to control it. Not sure I have ever run across what the colors mean on a Raven screen when off rate, majority of the time mine was painting red when it went off rate. 

I do not feel it is an issue with the EPro as it works fine for steering and such. The switch box will be the first time that I have used it but seems to work and section control was working or at least it seemed to be from what it painted on the screen.

You mentioned the diaphragm shut off valves for the rows. Could that be the issue? I realize the runs will drip some as I turn but would it cause rate issues other than coming back into the row as it has to rebuild pressure? I am trying to put on liquid calcium so not to concerned if I dribble a bit.  

Again thank you for your time and information. I will print it off and keep it for future reference if needed. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)