AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making a master set of AB lines
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/28/2023 05:25 (#10246405 - in reply to #10246105)
Subject: RE: Making a master set of AB lines

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I did about the same thing with a loose tractor and no implement. My goal was to make a master set of AB lines that were the property lines and save them to be reused year after year. Then when I wanted to start an application such as planting, I would retrieve the AB property line and shift it half the width of my planter toward the field.

I temporarily changed the GPS offset to account for the fact that I was using the left front outer dual to drive the property line. Later I changed the GPS offset back to zero since the GPS is centered on the tractor. That meant that if I chose that AB line and engaged auto steer the tractor would be centered on the property line. I created a separate AB line for each "side". To maintain consistency I drove all my fields (mostly rectangles) in a clockwise fashion as observed from above. That may not have been necessary.

As you mention you can allow for this when you bring up a line and do a shift but the direction of travel might mess you up. I had some confusion one time when I tried to shift off an old line. Turns out the problem was that the old AB line was created gong East to West but I was going West to East that day and the shift was not symmetrical.

I'm not sure if this could be easily done within SMS.

In some respects redoing them might be easier. Either physically mount the GPS over the left tire or temporarily change the GPS offset to allow for the difference.

After redoing the first AB line, I would test it. Since you won't likely have auto steer on the Gator, use Manual guidance. Reset the GPS offset to where it really is compared to the center of the Gator. Pick the newly created AB line and follow it by steering the Gator manually on the line. If this puts you centered on the property line then your offset was correct. Either reenter the offset you had tried or modify it and redo your other lines.

I would save each of the new redone AB lines with a distinctive yet consistent naming scheme such as TedHomePropLineN2023.

I have a field or two that join with neighbors who also have Ag Leader equipment. I have exported the property line to a USB stick and gave it to them. They import it to their system and save it. To use the line, I load it and shift half my implement width my direction. They load it and shift half of their implement width their way. The result is our rows are nice and parallel.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)