AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmall h as a first tractor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

4th GenerationFarmer
Posted 5/26/2023 08:43 (#10244231 - in reply to #10244153)
Subject: As an H owner/user

NWC Ohio
I absolutely agree with WildBuckWheat!!! Even my dad, who grew up on H’s,M’s and such would tell you the same thing. Sure they are bottom of the barrel cheap to buy, but are highly limited in what they can do. If you like red tractors, move up the line and get one with all the above features you won’t be sorry and at this point they probably won’t ever lose what $$ value they have at this point. Buy whatever color you like at this point, as I don’t see the size of tractor your looking for dropping in value in the next 50 years.

Depending on what size baler your thinking, how tight you wanna pack them, and how many you plan on making will determine what size engine and tractor you really want. If you’re looking to run a modern baler and bale bricks of straw, get you an IH (if wanting a red tractor) with a 414 cubic inch engine. The added weight of rotating mass, including flywheel and clutch, will be of benefit. This from experience with IH Hydros under that engine size, and a couple over that size. Towing a tractor home to split it and replace flex plates isn’t all that much fun, especially during baling season.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)