AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First time back in the fields after injury
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

TJWeber
Posted 5/19/2023 16:35 (#10235483 - in reply to #10234568)
Subject: RE: First time back in the fields after injury

WC MN
Matrixbird - 5/18/2023 22:08

In February of 22 I had 89% of my skin burnt off in a house fire trying to do the right thing. I did not return home for over 8 months. Every single day I endured unimaginable pain from extensive dressing changes and tiring therapy. This time last year I had no skin on my feet and couldn't take a single step without holding on to someone for dear life. In January of this year I decided to have my right hand amputated with the dream a prosthesis would allow me more function. Also my left hand is at about 10% function. Yesterday I finished planting my last field of beans. I planted right at 400 acres with the 20' great plains this spring. Next year I'll get my own operating loan and hopefully carry out nearly everything by myself. Side note: isn't it crazy a bank would back a 21 year old that is permanently disfigured???? Farming as well as life will never be the same. No more scaling the side of a combine or stir Ator. No more diving into the belly of some screwed up mess and crawling out greasy and victorious. No more sliding under a pickup to change oil or work on an exaust. That's all just a very small list of things I look back on with longing eyes. Going forward I'll have to make several adjustments and adaptations if I want to continue my family's legacy in farming. I know my health and strength are only going to get better with time. I'll make sure to share any major things I change that might help others with physical limitations or that might spike a regular folks intrest. I'm pretty proud of how far I've come from having the clothes burnt off me, to a 30% chance of living the first night, through over 40 surgeries, thousands of hours of therapy, and now planting around 92 million little seeds. I have a dark sense of humor so I encourage any crispy, no hands, or hook jokes if you feel so inclined. Thanks for reading this ramble, I know you guys are always pals about that serious stuff

As the red and green show puts it so well - The ladies may not find you handsome, but they will find you hand.......... too soon??... probably too soon... :)

Jokes aside - I encourage you to check out Harmless Farmer on youtube - He passed away last year, but if there is proof that anything can be done if you put your mind to it. Andy showed us it can be done in farming!

Edited by TJWeber 5/19/2023 16:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)