AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

But the sun don't shine at night . . .
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 5/18/2023 18:38 (#10234235 - in reply to #10233838)
Subject: RE: But the sun don't shine at night . . .

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

The strip mine at Colstrip, MT had 115KV lines constructed and then ran huge ground lines very similar to giant extension cords to the shovels. Once the range of the ground line became exhausted, they would move the overhead 115 KV line and repeat the exercise. Once that section of the mine was depleted, the overhead lines were taken down and moved to another part of the mine. The land was re-contoured to closely resemble what it was before. No electrical infrastructure remained on the reclaimed land. The fluffing of the topsoil and fertilizing it to establish grass and other native vegetation is truly remarkable as waist high grass grows alongside ankle high grass in undisturbed areas right beside the mined area. The land remains off limits to hunting because of liability concerns so it is overrun by deer and where there are deer in abundance, the mountain lions follow so both deer and lions roam the streets of Colstrip. Of course, what will become of the current spoil banks when the mine ceases operation is up in the air. I doubt there will be either money or the will to fix it in the end. Lots of old coal mines like that. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)