AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Precision planting and ag leader
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/18/2023 06:45 (#10233414 - in reply to #10233370)
Subject: RE: Precision planting and ag leader

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I haven't had the need to do this personally since our planting is done with an Ag Leader InCommand 1200 which is moved to the sprayer and then to the combine. This means the variety maps (and many others) are available in the InCommand when it is in the Hagie or later in the combine.

It is possible to use the SMS software to create a background Reference map of varieties when the crop was planted with another system such as the 20/20. I did this many years ago when I was working as a Tech. Basically the SMS software is able to read the data from other popular systems and make maps which can be viewed, printed etc.

Besides that SMS can create background Reference files which can be used with the Ag Leader Integra and InCommand 1200 in the combine. The process is done on a field by field basis so each field could have a background reference file of the varieties planted in that field. These would be saved on a USB stick.

When harvesting a field, the operator would choose the appropriate combine configuration and the field to be harvested. This would be the same as before. Then the operator would direct the display to load the appropriate background reference file from the USB stick. That information consisting of the varieties is temporarily loaded into the display. The system would then behave in much the same manner as if the planting had been done with the Ag Leader display. Automatic or manual variety switching works properly.

The variety background map does not become part of the Ag Leader display but is only a temporary reference map. If you start to harvest a field and bring up its background reference variety map but then quit the field and move to another field, you would need to load the reference map for the new field. If later you return to finish the first field you would load its variety file again.

It seems there was a bit of a trick that I used to miss. I believe when making the variety reference map with SMS for a crop planted with a different system, one had to indicate the crop type as one of the steps. I'm typing this from memory since my brief experience with the procedure was several years ago and may have changed with the Gen 2 20/20 and newer versions of SMS. I would expect that this is still possible since this would be a fairly common scenario.

Edited by tedbear 5/18/2023 06:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)