AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hoop Barns
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Dumbfarmer2
Posted 5/15/2023 23:30 (#10230822 - in reply to #10230473)
Subject: RE: Hoop Barns

SE Iowa
Can’t help you with stalls or any of that stuff, we use them for early spring calving to keep the wind and snow off the newborn calves backs and equipment/hay storage the rest of the year. They work beautifully for those types of things.
The Good- they are cheaper than a steel building of comparable size atleast the last I checked. They are cooler in the summer than steel and just as warm as steel in the winter, kind of the best of both worlds. 6 foot sidewalls are an absolute must in my opinion if ur putting cows in it.
The bad- not as durable. Keep ur insurance up on them cuz when you get that high wind and it is facing the wrong direction.. it’s over. They can take a lot, we have 6 hoop buildings on 2 different farms and they’ve seen some 80-90 mph windstorms and survived but it reaches a certain point and they just cant anymore. We had a tornado in 2008 that wrecked the 2 we had at the time. They don’t last as long as steel either of course.. 25-30 years max on the tarp and you’ll have to replace if the wind doesn’t get you first lol.
They work just fine for us but I’m not sure I would have as many of them if we could do it over, I was just a kid when most of them went up.
Goodluck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)