AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pumping Water from Pond for Cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Lb94
Posted 5/15/2023 10:41 (#10229993)
Subject: Pumping Water from Pond for Cattle

West Central Illinois
Had a bad flash flood Saturday afternoon got about 3" of rain in less than an hour and one of my main stock ponds at the homeplace got done in. It had a cut in the levee already for years but this really cut into it this time. Pond still has a little water for now but thinking about ripping the bandaid off and knocking out the rest of the cut so it can drain and be repaired next year possibly once it dries out.

That being said now for about 40% of my paddocks on that place now there wouldn't be any water source and i would need to haul water. We're out in the boonies so i'm 7 miles away from anywhere i could get city/rural water from hauled in a tank and i only have a half ton truck to haul anyway so 800 gallon would be the most i could probably haul which won't go far when it's 90 degrees. We don't have deep wells on these farms just shallow 100+ yr old hand dug wells that barely keep the feeder calves up at the house going and the house itself having enough water. We have a 1.5 acre fishing pond behind the house that has good access can drive across the dam very easily with truck and trailer so am interested in hauling water from that.

What kind of pump would be best for this situation? The pond's not covered in moss as i do spray it with algaecide each spring but it's not 100% clean water either. I've heard of trash pumps but wonder if it's overkill or not for this situation. Always kind of wanted something like that to pull water from pond when we need it, have a big garden up the hill from the pond so always seemed like it'd be nice to have extra water for that stuff every now and then.

Would the pond water get nasty in the stock tanks or if the cattle are basically drinking a tank full everyday would it never get too bad? Not talking a huge herd just 25 pairs and a bull, every pasture has good shade trees everywhere too so cows aren't out in the sun during heat of day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)