AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting using AI
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

J HL
Posted 5/16/2023 23:16 (#10232115 - in reply to #10229448)
Subject: RE: Starting using AI

Nebraska
I owned 4 hd when I took a class to learn how to AI. It was time and money well spent. My advice is to take a class and learn how if you really have interest. Then find someone who has more head than you to do and see if you can help and get experience faster than if you just did your own. That’s what I did at the college dairy, and then afterwards I did a few for neighbors in addition to ours. Then I signed up with a beef semen company and had a good custom business for awhile.

Outside of practice, major points to know are that the bull doesn’t get them all settled the first cycle either so don’t get discouraged if you don’t. The synchronization is more valuable to a commercial outfit than what bull you use. And not all reproductive tracts are text book shape and size so sometimes it takes some time to figure out the small variations and navigate your way through the cervix. If you don’t want to do that kind of work yourself, hire the expert in your area, they’ll be fast and proficient and worth the fee.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)