AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn belt moisture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 5/14/2023 06:09 (#10228237 - in reply to #10228140)
Subject: RE: Corn belt moisture

Southeast Colorado
And I'm guessing you're getting pretty good rain right now??

We got ours pretty much zeroed out by the adjuster. I'm actually not positive what I'm going to do. Wouldn't mind letting that small wheat grow a little more for cover before terminating it. Not sure if it'll grow enough to accomplish that. As soon as the heat cranks up it'll croak.

To get things back into a better rotation I'll probably do a combo of things. Plant some to milo, some to feed, and just fallow some. I'd be willing to bet the most profitable thing to do would be to take 100% of the wheat insurance right now, plant feed, and hope for the best. We have the haying equipment already, so that's an easier decision for me. If I had to hire that done I would look at it entirely different.

One of the most aggravating things for me...........is that I let the whole insurance and govt payments enter into my head. In the past...........when you attempt growing grain crops, whether it's smart or not, the govt tends to bail you out. Disaster payments and the like put more money in your pocket than doing sensible farming. When it's dry, you know you should just fallow or at best work on covering the ground and terminating the cover in order to build soil moisture. But those types of practices usually end up putting less money in your pocket.............thanks to skewing payments towards attempted grain production. Just a small rant I had to throw in there. We've been on both the good and bad side of those deals.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)